Tuesday, 7 February 2017

Happy Birthday Planet Whispers





Hey Whisperers,

One year a go today i posted my first blog post, a year a go today i started on this insane journey of becoming a blogger and it has been nothing short of amazing. I've joined twitter chats, been interviewed, worked with brands, hit 15,000 reads and  i was even nominated for an award (something i still struggle to understand), it has been incredible, but with blogging came a lot of struggles too. Don't get me wrong I've loved it all but I've definitely learnt a lot over the past year and so i thought I'd share a few things with you

What I've Learnt In My First Year Of Blogging


Some of your best friends will be those you meet through blogging.

 I can't even say how many amazing people i have met over this past year because of blogging, some of them new friends and some of them old, it has been amazing. It is hard being a blogger sometimes, being up till 2 am writing and the frustration you feel when a post isn't coming out how you want it to be is real and having someone to talk to is so important, but you'll find none-bloggers just don't get it like your blogger friends do. There's nothing like knowing you have someone there to help pick you up when you're down. To Georgia, Leanne and Leah i will always be grateful, they have both helped me so much over the past year, not only when it comes to blogging but also in my personal life to and for that i will always be grateful. 

It's OK to take a break from blogging

I'm definitely still working on this one. When i first started blogging all i wanted to do was blog and because of this i quickly ran out of ideas. I get down on myself a lot when i don't get a post up on time or when i don't write enough but it's OK to take a step back and take a little break. As many of you know i took a month or so break in September and since then i have been so much happier with my blog i feel more refreshed and i feel like i actually want to write instead of that i have to. I love blogging but i also know that it is OK to miss a post every now and then too. 

Be You

This is something else that I'm still working on. When you first start blogging it is so easy to fall into the slump of writing what you think people want to read but believe me there is way too much work and pressure when you blog that way. It is so important to be you. Although yes there are some posts that people really like to read it's so important to blog about what you want to blog about too because you'll soon start to hate your blog because you'll end up writing posts you don't like. Let your personality shine through and make your blog special because believe me as not only a blogger but also a blog obsessed reader nothing is better than blogs that are different and where you can tell the blogger is being 100% them. 

Blogging isn't easy.

Now this isn't the first blog I've ever written so i knew it wasn't going to be too easy but i definitely underestimated how much work it really took to be a blogger. You're going to go through note book after notebook of ideas yet still have writers block and you're going to re-write blog posts 5 or more times because you don't like them. But it's all going to be worth it in the end. Growing your blog is a new task all together too, you can't just post one post and expect your blog to succeed you need to post regularly and promote your blog. It takes a lot of dedication and time. 

Social Media is your best friend

Social media will help your blog get to that next level, not only does it help you promote your posts but it also allows you to interact with your readers too which is pretty much one of the most important things about blogging. Social media also allows you to venture into the blogging community something which i have found to be nothing less of incredible. I highly recommend setting up a twitter page if you're new to blogging and joining in twitter chats (link to a list of my favourite ones here). Twitter chats not only help you promote your blog but they also help you meet other bloggers like you. 

Looks matter

Now I'm not saying you have to rush out and pay for blog themes and get a self hosted domain but design does matter. I'm not a designer, I'm far from it but i want my blog to look put together and professional and it is always a work in progress.  When i first started blogging all my posts were plain with little to no images or links but I've since learnt that visual aids are so important in posts to make them appeal to readers and to also help keep your blog consistent, there are so many sites out there that have amazing themes that you can download and use for free, it just makes your blog that little bit more you.

Happy Birthday Planet Whispers. It's been a incredible, amazing, insane roller-coaster of a ride and i can't wait for whats to come. 

Thanks for Reading,
Love,
Soph
xoxo

14 comments:

  1. Totally agree with taking a break! When I took mine I came back more motivated than ever. Great post.

    Terri x
    www.territalks.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so hard to decide but it was 100% worth it!

      Thanks for Reading,
      Love,
      Soph
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Congrats! Been a whisperer for a while and I'm so proud <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm pretty much obsessed with your blog so it means a lot <3

      Thanks for Reading,
      Love,
      Soph
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Completely agree about taking a break and being yourself. Your personality should shine through your posts. Congrats on your first year too. :D

    Sarah
    http://boxnip.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me awhile to learn that i could be me, but it's been amazing letting my personality shine through! I can't believe it's been a year already i can't wait to see what the next year brings for me!

      Thanks for Reading,
      Love,
      Soph
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your first year of blogging!

    Love all of your tips too :)

    www.astoldbykirsty.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! It's gone to fast i can't believe it aha! Glad you enjoyed the post

      Thanks for Reading,
      Love,
      Soph
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. Happy first blog anniversary! My blog turned 1 a few weeks ago and I agree with everything you've said in this post. Keep up the good work Soph!

    Jeff. | NAMELESSJEFF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff! It's been such an amazing journey so far!

      Thanks for Reading,
      Love,
      Soph
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. Happy blog anniversary!! I completely agree with taking a break!

    www.eleaanormay.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My break helped me so much! Glad you enjoyed the post

      Thanks for Reading,
      Love,
      Soph
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your blog turning a year! I completely agree with you and especially to be you

    Tasha x

    http://itsatashathing.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/itsatashathing-labour-story.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's so important to let your personality shine through x

      Thanks for Reading,
      Love,
      Soph
      xoxo

      Delete

Follow me on Bloglovin

Follow